Thursday, January 27, 2011

City Connection Reflection

In humanities class, we worked on a project about a city we've lived in, which we presented on a PowerPoint slide-show. I think the things that I did good on this PowerPoint was that I didn't include too much text in my slides. Instead, I memorized all the information and spoke it to the audience. If I put all the information on the PowerPoint, it would be hard for the audience to read. Also, there wouldn't be any point in presenting the PowerPoint, because the audience could also just read from the screen.

I think the things that I need to improve in my future presentations are to make sure I don't get too excited or worried about presenting because when I am, I tend to speak fast and sometimes forget what I have to say. Or sometimes, I gradually speed up towards the end of the presentation and mix some words up. Mostly when that happens, I find myself doing a tongue twister of my PowerPoint to the audiences!!

Coming to think about how much I have met the course expectations.....well, to tell the truth, I did try my best to do it. In the statistical information slide, it had the word resources in it, which I did not understand. I included the rest of the others, and added the climate for my city. Especially in this presentation, I think that I didn't meet the expectations for historical factors. This is because I only had one historical factor for my city, but went deep into that factor and added interesting information. I think that I should have got at least 3 historical factors to meet the expectations.

Personally, I think that I didn't do too bad on this project. I had at least a picture for each slide, except for the statistical information and bibliography slides. I didn't put so much information on the slides, but instead presented everything to the audience, so that it catches there attention a little bit. I also threw in interesting information to keep the audience awake at all times. The only thing I wasn't sure about how good I did was the volume of my voice during the presentation. I wasn't sure if the people at the back could hear me clearly, but I guess they could because some of people sitting at the back gave me comments (not about the volume!!!)

Normally, the rubric would be most helpful resource for me in whatever assignment I do. But in this case, the rubric did help, but not as much as the "B" example from last year. I looked at the rubric, and at the example, but spent more time with the example than the rubric because it tended to give me a clearer vision of what my presentation should look like. It helped me to understand what historical factors are and while doing that, I thought of ways to make mine better than the example, so I could get an "A". Really, what struck in the beginning was the level of expectation for this assignment. I thought that the example might as well be an "A-". But, I took that into consideration and tried my best to make mine an "A".


No comments:

Post a Comment