Monday, May 16, 2011

Books, Books, Books

Title: The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
Author: Avi
The book that I'm going to introduce here is "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle" by Avi. The reason I chose this book to discuss was not only because it was a really good book that I enjoyed reading, but it also taught me a lesson. That is why I would like to share today with you about this book.
When I read this book, it made me think of the difference between happiness and freedom, and wealth. People say that having lots of money could give you everything. But no, not really. At least not for Charlotte, and, I believe, for most people too. Reading this book made me realize that there was a huge difference in living only a wealthy life, and living a not wealthy, but happy life. You can sometimes feel trapped or frustrated when living in such a wealthy, planned, protected life. It's not always that you would find a good and healthy life when you have lots of money. What I think is that as long as you're not happy with the life you're living, then you are not living a good and healthy life. What I mean by 'good and healthy' is not only living good and healthily physically, but also mentally. I have always thought this way, because I had kind of experienced it. But, this book really shows the difference between the two lifestyles. And, in addition, I was even more convinced that some people actually preferred a happy life rather than a wealthy life when at the end of the book, Charlotte decides to return to the Seahawk, where she can actually find freedom and happiness.
This book challenged me as a reader by the words that Avi decided to use. There were a ton of words that I didn't understand, but that helped me to learn more. I now know more vocab, such as upholstered, etc. Also, since some of the sentences were complexed and sometimes confused me, it made me re-read the passage again, until I understand the meaning. I doing this, I was able to understand the book more, and I could also relate many things together, and tie in so many events and end up with a bunch of questions I needed to answer myself. But that procedure was fun, and helpful.
Don't read this book if you are not prepared to receive many details and vocabulary words that you don't understand. Also, this book uses English-English, not American English. Trust me, you will come across fascinating adjectives through your journey in the book - so beware!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment